Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Get the chicken wings at Murphy's

Pull up a stool and order some chicken wings at Murphy's Bleachers - but don't bother getting the pizza.

If you know me then you know how much I love buffalo sauce, usually on chicken wings but also in salads. I love the finger-licking-good flavor, but its also the heat and spiciness that has me coming back for more. I'm always on the hunt for new chicken wings to try around the city, and Murphy's has got some of the best I've tried in a long while.

On a Tuesday night when the Cubs are out of town, the gargantuan bar was practically empty, even though it's usually hopping before, during, and after a Cubs game. As the boyfriend and I waited for our to-go sausage pizza, we ordered an appetizer of chicken wings, which were $8 for 10. These wings aren't typical . There was a smoky flavor that worked well with the vinegar and cayenne that usually makes a buffalo sauce. Needless to say, every bite of those wings were gone before we left with our pizza. Then again, it took us awhile to leave.

While the pizza was brought to us faster than expected (average wait time for a Murphy's pizza: 40 minutes) and the bill was delivered to us quickly, it took the two bartenders for-ev-er to come get the credit card. They weren't even busy serving the other six customers. They lolly-gagged, watching the game, occasionally swiping down the unused sections of the bar. We eventually got their attention, but it took much longer than it should have.

As for the main course, we had high expectations for the pizza. The boyfriend had ordered it many times before when he lived in East Lakeview, and he said it was one of the best he's ever had. But the sausage pizza left a lot to be desired this time around (we both agreed), and even left a bad taste in our mouth.

The pizza tasted as if someone had accidentally dumped the wrong kind of seasoning, spice, or something that didn't belong into both the dough and the red sauce. The crust was thicker than the normal thin crust. All in all, the outer crust - which had tiny flecks of something in it - was inedible. While the sausage and cheese tasted good enough, it did little to make it worthwhile.

Even though the pizza was disappointing, I may try it again... eventually. After all, it was considered one of the boyfriend's favorites at one point in time. Maybe a different cook was working on Tuesday? Maybe an ingredient was used that isn't usually? Who knows.

Either way, I'll definitely be back for the chicken wings. But next time I'll go on Monday when they offer $0.25 wings.

(Note: I usually take pictures to accompany my posts - so you can salivate over the delicious items I write about - but, alas, I didn't have my camera with me).

Murphy's Bleachers
3653 N Sheffield Ave.
Chicago, IL 60613-4303
Ph.: (773) 929-7061

No comments:

Post a Comment