Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Welcome to Chicago Food Fights!

No need to get your throwing arm ready. This blog isn't about those kinds of food fights.

Instead, Chicago Food Fights is about finding the best foods in Chicago, the best flavors, and the dishes that have you coming back for more. Most of all, Chicago Food Fights is about pitting two dishes against one another, because, let's face it, we all have different favorites when it comes to what the best dishes are in Chicago.

The idea for this blog grew out of a long-standing argument between my friends and me about which Chicago hot dog classic is better: Gene & Jude's or Superdawg? After I became the Chicago Hot Dog Examiner for examiner.com in June 2009, we finally decided to settle the argument by letting the food speak for itself and by holding the first ever Chicago hot dog war.

We travelled to both restaurants, sampled the menu fare, tried to keep an open mind, and voted. (For the play-by-play and official results, go here.) We all had a blast arguing over the quality of the dogs, what role the ambiance should play, talking about the snap of the dogs, and which toppings were better - and we didn't want the war to end. So we've decided to have more 'food fights,' but with different Chicago classics. What's the best deep-dish pizza? Italian beef? Chicken wings? Find out by staying tuned to my new blog, Chicago Food Fights.

In addition to pitting various dishes against each other and documenting the 'food fights' I have with my friends, I'm also starting this blog to share restaurant reviews, where I've found awesome deals/specials, and the dishes you've got to try when you visit and/or explore the Windy City next.

Why am I putting this blog together? I'll never ever ever claim to be a cook on this site, but I love food, trying new food and new restaurants, learning about food, starting arguments about food and... you get the idea. I know I'll have fun putting this blog together, and I hope you have fun with it too.

Have a favorite Chicago dish that you think should be part of a food fight? Let me know.

Have a new restaurant or dish you think I should try? Let me know.

Disagree with my top-pick for a dish? Let me know.

Let this blog be a forum for your opinion on all things related to Chicago food, and let the food fights begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment